Monday, June 22, 2009

A Two-Legged Wonder

Well, the big news this week is that I'm now off crutches. To say it's a good thing would be a gross understatement. Still have to be careful going up and down stairs, but at least I can navigate them two-legged. Can carry food, and laundry, vacuum, hang up clothes, and, to the joy of husband Ken, again help with kitty litter clean up.

Freedom didn't come soon enough for the Rotary Boat Float, but did come just in time for one of my other favorite client events: ACS' Audrey Robbins Humanitarian Awards. I was able to move a bit to take the needed photos -- though all were MOST solicitous of my hobbling. Still can't drive -- which does put a crimp in things. .

We were also able to go to WV this weekend b/c I can at least climb the two story stairs. All the rain meant the Cacapon was too high and muddy to tube, to Ken's disappointment. We drove to the top of ourhill and I was able to walk in on the path about 200 feet to see the prickly pear in bloom -- one of my personal favorite WV things.

Rain suggested a trip to Cumberland and we revisted one of the area's great little gems: The Brooke Whiting House of Art (www.whitinghouse.org). They have an amazing collection, and currently have portrait miniatures and waxes on exhibit, which is what drew me in. Director Cassandra Pritts is lovely and interesting to talk with, and has done a great job there. If you're ever passing near or through Cumberland I recommend a stop.

1 comment:

Laurel Realtor said...

Glad to hear you are a little more able bodied now. Still it reminds me that all of us will be dis-abled at some point. You may see me walking around Laurel trying to keep my weight down. Stay healthy and keep posting.