Friday, March 27, 2009

At the Track



My friend Jim and I walk most mornings (3 miles/1 hour). We walk early so get a view of the world that's a little different than what you see once the rest of the world is up and about. Our rainy venues are Arundel Mills Mall and Columbia Mall -- sorry Laurel, much too short and VERY depressing. I'm always disconcerted when I visit those locales when there are actually people there.
But I digress.

Friday is "Track Day." We walk from our Old Town location to the Laurel Race Track where in the early morning horses exercise -- no crowds, no betting, just exercise people taking their mounts out. We've been going for years and the riders recognize us -- and we know enough not to rush up the steps to the track when horses are coming -- they get a little skittish.

This time of day can sometimes yield interesting photos like those here. One, at the finish line was taken the day Magna declared bankruptcy, threatening the survival of the 99 year old track. I thought it pretty ironic. The other was from this morning, when fogged encased the track.

1 comment:

Laurel Realtor said...

Great pictures. My wife and I walk around our West Laurel Neighborohood. Down Bond Mill, up to Riding Stable then past pool accross 95. About four miles altogether. I would love to see horses exercising on my walk. Where exactly do you walk when you get to the track?